Friday, June 8, 2007

Orientation, Week 1


What a ride! And where to start??
After a restful layover, following our 15 hr flight to Seoul, we were ready to meet Mongolia face-to-face with no jet lag.
We were greeted at the airport in Ulaanbaatar, the capitol of Mongolia, by a boisterous group of currently serving volunteers who gave us a heroes welcome. We took a bus, in the dark, to our ger camp (see photo) for the night. It was perfect that we didn't get to see where we were until waking up in the very early morning to see the sun rise over the mountains behind us. Julie was practically in tears from the impact of realizing, suddenly, that we were really looking out on Mongolia. Its beauty met all of our expectations.
As the sun rose, Jimmy and I stepped out to a sky full of magpies, wheatears, hoopoes and the magnificent black-eared kites. It was a sublime beginning to our journey here.
Later in the day, and a four-hour, extremely hot and sweaty bus ride later, we arrived in Darkhan, an aimag (provincial) center north of Ulaanbaatar. The heat was NOT what we anticipated as a big weather challenge for us, but it is HOT right now! The Mongolians are saying that its hotter than usual -- about 90 degrees lately!
We are now in Darkhan, an old, highly Russian-influenced city, for our first four days, to meet the PC folks we'll be working with and to prepare us for our homestays (in Sukhbaatar) which begin next week. The language training we're getting is phenomenal. Julie keeps wishing she was using these techniques when she was teaching at home-- although she's proud to say that she has done a couple of activities that she used to use in her classroom. Lots of games, repetition, and laughter, and zero English. While learning the language is daunting, we're feeling less concerned about our effectiveness here and believe we'll be successful.
The training has been excellent, and the people have been wonderful to work and play with. Our Mongolian language teachers are a group of absolutely adorable, incredibly sweet, funny and highly effective women, who we all adore. And our colleagues are full of enthusiasm and warmth. We never feel funny about inviting ourselves to hang out with anyone at all, and no one seems shy to do that with us. We are thoroughly delighted to be part of this incredible group of people, collaborating on this incredible experience.
In two days we'll step over (not on - bad luck here) the thresholds of our homes for the next 2 1/2 months, and meet our new families. We are filled with butterflies, but know we will be embraced as special members of the family.
Thanks so much for taking the time to read our blog!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks perfect. You'll let me know what your families are like, right? Jimmy, I'm so sorry to hear of Grampy's passing. I know it's not unexpected and I'm happy you got to spend some time with him before you left. It's very quiet here right now though it looks like rain. A family of "chippies" is in the bushes by the walkway and are oblivious of our comings and goings. They just eat the sunflower seeds dropped from what's left of the feeder after the bear got though with it last week. I'll put the new c cards in the mail for you Monday so be looking for them. I love you both bunches.. xxoo Marme

Anonymous said...

Hi Jimmy and Julie,
I was so glad to finally get onto your blog...in a very roundabout way..Sue M copied off the entries so far for me and brought them to school and I was thrilled to read it...feels like you are just right next door..It all sounds like an amazing adventure and I can't wait to hear more and read more. I have a Jimmmy and Julie folder to keep all your copied off e-mails and blog reports in so I can refer back often. Love you! Kris S.S.

GG said...

Wow, new birds for Jim's count? Glad to hear of all the good people you have met.
We took a course at County Farm today on Tree & Shrub ID and saw a garter snake and a milk snake sharing the same maple snag. Pretty neat. We'll kayak first time in season tomorrow, just on Wilson Pond. Kate got all As! Don't get me started on discussing my anti-knotweed campaign. Mike is cool and kind and patient as ever. Love, GG

Anonymous said...

looks and sounds wonderful! What I wouldn't give for no English in a week, you have no idea. Even my Japanese teacher likes to practice her English explanations in class, though I rarely need them. Ah well.

I'm so psyched for you guys! I want to visit you guys sometime, but I'm not sure about how-all that'd work. How long would it take me from the airport to get where you're at? How much time should I plan on spending? Those sorts of questions. Since I'm here in Japan, flights to Asia are really cheap, so perhaps this can get done...

YAY!

-Jason

Anonymous said...

Hey Julie and Jimmy,

I'm so excited to read your exuberant message! Your photo is amazing.
School's out! In the end, 9 bailed for one reason or ten. Farmer's Market is on. Summer has begun!

Yippee!

Love you guys!
Deb

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys: So glad you are there safe and sound. It does look beautiful!!! and exciting!!! and wonderful!!!
Things here are pretty quiet. Getting ready for Alaska, painting the house and partying. Pam began her new job this week and it seems to be a great fit. So, it sounds like you may see Jas before I do. Oh well. Keep those entries comming. I love being able to live through your adventures.

Love you both so much and miss you too.

Judles

Anonymous said...

jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjulie and jim,
I hope all these extra J's make it all the way to Mongolia. I'm so glad you both are doing well. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of you both. Is it 2009 yet? I miss you!
Love John